Service of the Coast Artillery by F. Hinds and F.W. Ward (1910), CDSG Press hard cover reprint of a manual prepared for new officers joining the Coast Artillery Corps
This technical manual was prepared to provide a comprehensive source of information for coast artillery officers. Using Ordnance Department publications and Coast Artillery Corps orders, memoranda, and circulars, the authors describe the theory, organization, gunnery, armament, instruments, etc. of the U.S. coast artillery in its early years. The reprint matches the original as closely as possible, a hard-bound book of 576 pages with 150 illustrations and tables.
- CHAPTER I: DEFINITIONS, ABBREVIATIONS AND SIGNS
- CHAPTER II: THEORY AND PRINCIPLES OF COAST DEFENSE
- CHAPTER III: ORGANIZATION AND PERSONNEL
- CHAPTER IV: GUNNERY AND BALLISTICS
- CHAPTER V: ARMAMENT
- CHAPTER VI: EXPLOSIVES, PROJECTILES, PRIMERS AND FUSES
- CHAPTER VII: INSTRUMENTS, DEVICES AND CHARTS
- CHAPTER VIII: SEARCHLIGHTS
- CHAPTER IX: SUBMARINE MINES, SMALL BOATS, ETC.
- CHAPTER X: SEACOAST ENGINEERING
- CHAPTER XI: CORDAGE
- CHAPTER XII: MAGAZINE RIFLE
- CHAPTER XIII: POINTS FOR COAST ARTILLERISTS